dear mom

i think of you every time i apply blush. you showed me how to blend it across my cheekbones. i still use your make up bag anyways.

i think of you when someone compliments my hair. you’ve always loved my hair. it was once yours.

i think of you when i stop to take pictures of a particularly beautiful sunset. i am your daughter, of course.

i think of you when i stand up for myself. i know you’d be proud of me. thank you for your courage.

i think of you when i read. you and me, laying on the floor, listening. i read a little more for you.

i think of you when i see quail scurrying across the street. they follow each other closely. i followed you like that.

i think of you when i see people doing yoga. my mom is certified. i want to tell them.

i think of you when i hear Madonna. i imagine little you singing along. i don’t know the lyrics, but i wish i did. 

i think of you when i see yellow. it’s your color, it always has been. nothing will change that.

i think of you when i have a grilled cheese sandwich. you made it with extra cheese and i still complained. 

Comments

Popular Posts