NaPoWriMo 1: Expiration Date

It's going.
I can feel it slipping away, like the string of an airborne kite.
Lingering on the memories because the memories are all I'll have left when it's gone. 
The remnants of what once was.
All my joy packed into a few items and cruelly torn away from me.
The winds have come before, blowing toward me, tossing my hair to the sky. 
And now the winds are coming again. 
I recognize them for what they are. 
The expiration date is drawing near and my body trembles with fear. 
Not death exactly, but a fate far more lonesome than what I've had.
My surroundings whisper "change".
But my eternally positive mind refuses to believe. 
The kite flies ever higher, brushing the clouds with its cheerful wings.
Could it all be gone by tomorrow?

a.d. (so nothing lasts forever?)

Comments

Popular Posts