El Páncreas


Dear Human Body Corporation,
Most of you have never heard of me, and if you have, you dismissed the thought of my possible importance.  For many, I’m just an organ, an everyday employee.  But in reality, I’m much more than that.  
In normal-functioning bodies, I produce insulin that decreases the amount of glucose in  blood, regulating blood sugar levels. I also create enzymes that break down the carbohydrates received from food.  Without me, blood sugar levels would be dangerously high, which could give headaches, hunger, thirst or, in extreme cases, death.  
Sometimes, the immune system turns against itself and destroys the insulin-secreting cells inside me.  This is the cause of Type 1 Diabetes (A.K.A. Juvenile Diabetes.)  When a patient is diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, they have to receive 3+ insulin shots each day.  Not to mention the repeated pricks of their fingers to test their blood.  
Other times, I become larger, inflamed.  This is called Pancreatitis.  Mild Pancreatitis is caused by gallstones.  Severe Pancreatitis is mostly caused by alcohol.  This pancreatic disease is highly painful.
But all in all, I’m a worthy and loyal employee of HBC.  Although I have my faults, life without me would be unimaginably difficult.  Firing me would be an enormous mistake.

Your honest employee,

El Páncreas

(The Pancreas)

Comments

Popular Posts