Lost in Loarre Castle



I couldn’t wait to board the plane at DFW airport.  Flying to Madrid, Spain, for the first time was more than exciting.  In school we’d been learning about the Crusades and Spain had played a vital role in the Muslim and Christian wars over land.


Our plane lands in Madrid at 11:00 and we find a taxi at 12:00.  By the time we reach the hotel, the sun is low in the sky.  I flop down onto the bed and stare at the ceiling, recalling the day’s events.  The plane had landed late.  The taxi drivers appeared to be murderous.  And, to top it off, there was so much traffic that it took us 4 hours to drive just 120 miles.  The only highlight of the day was that we’d been pleasantly surprised with an airy two-room suite. 


        We’d been hoping to explore after we dropped off our luggage at the hotel, but we are all so exhausted that my mom, Lori, can barely answer the phone when the front desk calls.

        “Uh…Hi,” Lori manages to form the word.

        “Hello!  Is this room 672?”

        “Yyyyeah.”

        “We’re sorry to inconvenience you in any way, but your present room was already reserved.  Would you mind moving down to room 248?”

        “Ugh…” my mom closes her eyes, probably imagining us stumbling down the stairs (due to the lack of an elevator) with all our luggage.

        “Ma’am?  I’m so sorry.  It’s the only vacant room we have left.”

        “We’ll be right down.” Lori ends the call.


        My dad, Matt, and my sister, Bella, both let out a bewildering groan.  This trip is turning out to be quite a disaster.  Once we receive our new key, we make our way to room 248.  Turns out that 248 is a carpet-less single room and only contains a coverless queen bed.  After this revelation, we then spend the whole night seeking a decent hotel.  Bella and I reluctantly fall asleep en route, and don’t wake up till morning.

            When I arouse, I realize that I am in a seafront inn on the beach in the shade of a cliff.  I come down to breakfast which consists of dry cereal and juice, my usual.  Then dad announces that - according to the innkeeper’s wife - a castle called Loarre rests atop of the nearby cliff. 

        “It is inland, you know, built in the 11th and 12th centuries!  It has been around for over 800 years!  This castle was imperative in the Muslim and Christian battles for territory!”

        I shake my head.  How can something so archaic still be here today?  We soon pack up and drive toward the castle.  Once we pull into the drive, I leap out of the car and run to the entrance.  The walls are crumbling in some places, but most of the castle is in terrific condition. 

        Once we are past the entrance, we reach a courtyard, and hang a left through a narrow archway.  We soon pass through a well-lit hall, climb some steep, stone stairs and find ourselves on a cramped balcony looking out over gorgeous Spain.  We glimpse miniature people coming home from the fields and markets, and little chimneys puffing smoke.  A covered walkway leads to another larger balcony and my family hesitantly follows me across it. 

        We pass under a low doorway into what looks like a sleeping chamber.  I wonder who had slept here many centuries ago.  A crooked and dusty chandelier still hangs from the ceiling.  We exit into a dark passageway.

        After passing through countless chambers and courtyards, we discover what appears to be the kitchen.  A soot-covered chimney is position on the far side of the room and a undersized, lofty window lets a touch of light in.  My mom snaps a few photos, squealing with delight, then announces that we should grab some lunch.

        “Follow me.  I think I recognize the way,” my dad begins to march toward a broad archway.

        “Wait!  I thought it was this way,” I point to a bright staircase leading up.

        “No, trust me, Abby.  It’s this way.”

        So I reluctantly follow him out of the kitchen and through the archway.  I know when we pass the first filthy cell that we are in the dungeons…which is not the way out.  It’s chilly, murky and dank in here, but I don’t say anything yet, not until we turn a corner and face more gloomy endless cells.

        “I told you, but you didn’t listen, and now we’re LOST!!!” I stomp my foot in frustration.

        “Well, sorry.  I…” he trails off.

        So I take the lead and direct us out of the dungeons.  Once we arrive on the main floor, my guessing leads us to an undersized courtyard at the rear of the castle; everyone sits down to rest.  After a few minutes, we all arise, ready to locate the way back to the entrance. 

        Once again, I conduct; through a damp hall, under a crumpling arch and past a spherical tower we stride.  Then Bella spots it…the entrance.

        “Look!  The entrance and the courtyard!  Straight ahead!” she yelps.

        We all run toward the entry, only to find that it isn’t an entrance at all; only a doorway to a vast room. 

        “I believe this is the chapel!” Lori exclaims, rushing over to a stained-glass window. “Oh my goodness, this provides the perfect photo shoot!”

        We all end up getting our photos taken in front of what seems like each and every window.  Much light shines in through them and the rows of benches are carved with numerals and pictures. Then Matt says:

        “Okay, I am ravenous.  Let’s find the exit.”

        It takes us about 20 minutes to pinpoint the exit.  When we do, though, I practically dart to the car and scarf down my favorite granola bar.  That’s when our erstwhile hotel calls.  My parents are still displeased with the hotel, but my mom answers anyway.

        “Hello?”

        “Hello Ma’am!  We are so sorry about last night.  We would like to offer you a free two-room suite for tonight.”

        “What!?”

        “We would like to offer you a free two-room suite for tonight.”

        “We accept!  We will be arriving around 3:00pm.  Is that fine?”

        “Wonderful.  Have a pleasant day!”

        My mom is rather excited that we get to stay downtown.  We all are.  Actually, for the rest of the trip, we lodge at that same hotel and visit many unique shops and restaurants.  It was neat to have been standing in such an ancient place overflowing with so much history, and to know all about it ahead of time.  We all agree that even though the first day in Spain was rough, the rest were marvelous.
Written by Abby Dortch, 2/21/12

Comments

Popular Posts