Double Bug Hotel

          You wouldn’t believe my bad luck while on a summer vacation in Jefferson City, Missouri, when my family decided to take a trip to Ha Ha Tonka state park.  It was about a two hour drive and when we finally reached the city, we were full of energy.
        After exploring a bit, we drove by the Governor’s Mansion which was nearly five stories high.  At 4:30, we were tired of driving, so we stopped at the hotel to drop off our luggage and eat some dinner at the zenith of the Double Tree Hotel.  At room 208, we halt and step inside, I immediately note the darkness of the small room.  Curious, I stroll towards the window and pull back the sash.  “Oh my GOODNESS,” I yelp, trying not to panic.  The window was crawling with bugs shaped like teardrops.  “I am not sleeping in this room,” my mom stated.  “Let’s go eat dinner and then we’ll decide what to do,” Dad said, a little annoyed.  We stride into the elevator and rise the top floor.
        The restaurant spun around to give you a delightful view of the city.  Due to my food allergies, I couldn’t eat anything on the menu, so I ordered steaming hot chocolate instead – it’s always nice to have on vacation anyway. 
        After one hour of enjoying food and treats, we returned to room 208. Suddenly, a beetle scuttled out in front of my sister Bella’s shoe and she smashed it.  “Yuck,” Bella murmured, looking around.  “Daddy, I see a ladybug on the ceiling and a spider on the wall,” I said, then added. “I am sleeping in the car!”
        “Fine,” Daddy said, took some pictures for evidence and left to ask for a new room.  Upon his return, we traveled to room 436.  “ Looks okay to me…” my mom said, not quite sure.  She walks to the bed and pulls back the sheets.  “Ahhhhhhhhh!!!” she screams, spotting a dead fly.  “Let’s get out of this wretched place!” I said rushing to reach the door first.
        It took us until 2:00am to find a hotel that had vacancy (it’s hard to find a decent hotel on 4th of July weekend.)  We pulled into several parking lots, yet all the rooms were full.  But once we did find a Hampton Inn, we hustled in and fell asleep immediately.
        The next day we went hiking in the shade of the trees at Ha Ha Tonka.  It was hot outside, nevertheless the breeze off the lake kept us cool.  We hiked for what seemed like forever, but we had to make up for the terrible predicament last night.  What an adventure!  

Comments

Popular Posts