No!

    I shall always remember the day the doctor called and said I had Celiac disease.
     We were at the meadows outdoor shopping mall.  My mom was sitting on a bench talking to the doctor.  She got of the phone and said, "Come on girls."  We followed her into the courtyard and sat down at a table.  For a few minutes there was silence.  "What did the doctor say?" I asked.  "What did the doctor say?" I repeated.  "Well..." my Mom started tears welling in her eyes.  "Let me guess," I said," I have Celiac disease, right?"  My Mom burst into tears and hugged my tight, "Yes."
             A lump formed in my throat, I tried to ignore it, but there was no use.  Panic rose in me, fogging my thoughts.  I couldn't help myself, I started to cry.
     Celiac disease means you can't eat gluten.  I already have an egg and peanut allergy, this just made it worse.  My Mom explained to me that it damages my intestines I eat gluten.  Once I absorbed that, I realized I couldn't eat most of my favorite foods including Mac 'n cheese!
     This made me sob even more.  Bella decided to buy me something and I picked out a key chain.
      The next day, we went to the doctor.  She said I would have to have an Endoscope; a procedure where they stick a camera down your throat and into your intestines to take pictures.  Anyway, I nearly started crying on the spot.  The weeks went by in a blur, and finally the day came when I'd have to have the Endoscope.  I was scared out of my wits.  Once we got to the hospital the nurse gave me a shot.  The shot made me fall asleep, and when I woke up, I was kinda in a daze.
                My Mom, Dad and Sister were by the side of my bed.  Bella handed me a little stuffed animal and my Mom gave some animal crackers.  "Hi Abby," said my Dad.  "Popsicle?" I asked.  My Dad called a nurse over and asked if they had Popsicles.  They did and I had a red one.  Later on, when I felt a little better, I changed back into regular clothes and my Dad put me in a wheelchair.  Then we walked [or rolled] into the lobby and Daddy went and got the car.  We drove home, where I watched some movies and rested.  The next day I was just fine, runing around the house and riding my bike outside.



Comments

Popular Posts